This is an excerpt from Stretching Anatomy-3rd Edition by Arnold G. Nelson & Jouko J. Kokkonen.
Most of the stretches in the following programs are best performed in a static manner. For these stretches, follow the general recommendations described earlier for your specific level of flexibility. In addition, some of the stretches can be performed in a dynamic manner as a preexercise routine. To perform a stretch dynamically, follow the general guidelines listed in chapter 9 as well as the ability guidelines listed in chapter 11.
- Hold the stretch position for 30 to 40 seconds for each stretch.
- Rest for 15 seconds between stretches.
- Repeat each stretch four times.
- Use an intensity level on the scale from 1 to 3 (light pain sensation).
- Do all four stretches on one limb before doing the same stretches on the opposite limb.
- For the best results, do all of the stretches listed in the tables.
- You do not need to do the stretches in the order listed. You can do the stretches in an order that best suits your needs.