This is an excerpt from Strength Training for Football by NSCA -National Strength & Conditioning Association,Jerry Palmieri & Darren Krein.
By Ted Rath
Tall Kneeling Stick Lift
Antirotation, anti-extension, functional
Primary Muscles Trained
Transverse abdominis, rectus abdominis, internal oblique, external oblique, gluteals
- Kneel with both knees on the floor.
- Take an overhand grip on the stick.
- The outside arm is flexed, the inside arm is extended (a).
- The cable is below the athlete's hip (a low to a high angle).
- Extend the outside arm to a locked-out position (b).
- Press the inside arm away from the chest using the core into a locked-out position (c).
- Return the inside arm from a locked-out position to the chest.
- Return the outside arm to a flexed position.
Figure 8.4 Tall kneeling stick lift: (a) beginning position; (b) extend outside arm; (c) press inside arm away from chest.