This is an excerpt from Introduction to Recreation and Leisure 4th Edition With HKPropel Access by Tyler Tapps & Mary Sara Wells.
By Tracy L. Mainieri
Student Benchmark Checklist
This checklist provides suggestions for activities beyond required course work that will make a student more successful and competitive when entering the job market.
- Volunteer 50 hours each semester with at least two recreation agencies.
- Create and maintain a professional LinkedIn profile.
- Find a part-time job in a sector that aligns with your career goals.
- Attend one regional professional conference.
- Visit the campus career center once a semester for seminars and mock interviews.
- Join a professional association and become active in it.
- Contact agencies you are interested in working with and familiarize them with your name.
- Review your personal social media presence to ensure information is professional.
- Complete a 10-week internship (more than one internship is recommended by graduation).
- Obtain at least one job in a recreation field.
- Job shadow for at least two recreation sectors.
- Establish at least one professional mentor in a career field of interest.
- Get to know your professors via office hours.
- Meet with three different faculty members to discuss career options in your chosen field.
- Develop your career portfolio throughout your time as a student (résumé, work samples, transcripts and degrees, awards and honors, letters of reference).