Professional and Student Portfolios for Physical Education-2nd Edition
The second edition of Professional and Student Portfolios for Physical Education has been fully updated to reflect the new physical education standards for beginning and practicing teachers and K-12 physical education content standards for school students. Among the updates and new features in this book, you’ll find a CD-ROM full of portfolio builders that provide a step-by-step process for developing professional and student portfolios. The practical procedures and tips provided in the book can be used for every phase of a teacher’s career:
- PE teachers can use it to guide their students in creating portfolios.
- Teachers can create their own professional portfolios.
- College students training to be PE teachers can create their own portfolios for evaluation within their universities and to help them land their first jobs.
The following are among the new features in this edition:
- New standards. All three sets of professional teacher standards and content standards are identified and applied in each chapter.
- Expected outcomes. Each chapter includes a set of expected outcomes that identifies the knowledge and skills the reader should acquire after completing the chapter.
- Integration of assessment, learning, and teaching. Student portfolios model successful integration as students reflect on learning, develop self-direction and feedback skills, set goals, create new challenges, and communicate achievement results. These concepts are introduced in chapter 1 and developed further in chapter 3.
- Rubric development. Chapter 3 discusses the design of rubrics, criteria for determining the quality of rubrics, and converting rubric scores to grades. Rubrics are also presented and illustrated in chapters 2 and 4.
- Use of technology. The application of technology for portfolio assembly, management, and storage is a significant feature of this second edition. General guidelines for creating electronic-based and Web-based portfolios, including hardware, storage, and software recommendations, are presented in chapter 1. The specific use of technology in developing student and teacher portfolios is covered in chapters 2, 3, and 4, where you will also find sample portfolio systems for PETE programs; elementary, middle, and high school students; and praciticng teachers.
- CD-ROM portfolio builders. The accompanying CD-ROM includes templates for creating electronic-based portfolios for teacher candidates, K-12 students, and practicing teachers. These templates provide a step-by-step process for developing professional and student portfolios. When completed, the portfolio can be copied to a CD for distribution and review. It can also be uploaded to the Internet for access as a Web-based portfolio.
The portfolio systems in Professional and Student Portfolios for Physical Education, Second Edition, are detailed and illustrated. With its updated information on standards, its inclusion of rubric development, and its detailed information on the use of technology in building portfolios, this book is a valuable resource for both teachers and students.
Textbook for use in these and similar courses: methods, assessment, student teaching, issues, organization and administration, and intro to PE. Resource for K-12 and PETE instructors.
Table of Contents
CD-ROM for Professional and Student Portfolios for Physical Education
Chapter 1. Gateway to Professional and Student Portfolios
Contexts for Educational Change
Role of Portfolios in Standards-Based Assessment
Using Technology to Develop Portfolios
Chapter 2. Professional Portfolios for Teacher Candidates
Purposes and Types of PETE Portfolios
Organization Around Standards
Processes for Involvement
Assembly and Structure
Selection of Artifacts
Sample Professional Portfolio System
Teacher Candidate Handbook: PETE Professional Portfolio
Chapter 3. Student Portfolios for K-12 Learners
Assessment, Learning, and Teaching
Purposes and Types of Student Portfolios
Production and Logistics
Reflection and Self-Assessment
Sample Student Portfolio Systems
Locomotor Skills Workbook: Achievement Portfolio
Volleyball Sportfolio: Showcase Portfolio
Fitness for Life: Personal Growth Portfolio
Chapter 4. Professional Portfolios for Practicing Teachers
Definition and Purposes
Types of Portfolios
Organization and Management
Sample Professional Portfolio System
Professional Development Manual: Showcase Portfolio
About the Author