Implementing Skills-Based Health Education Online Course
This new online resource from authors Holly Alperin and Sarah Benes builds on their previous books, The Essentials of Teaching Health Education, Second Edition, and Lesson Planning for Skills-Based Health Education. The course consists of eight online modules that collectively provide health coordinators and their teachers the tools they need to confidently and smoothly apply skills-based health education. As such, Implementing Skills-Based Health Education Online Course acts as an ideal bridge between two teaching approaches, helping teachers move from a content-based approach to a skills-based approach.
Implementing Skills-Based Health Education Online Course offers the following:
- Flexibility. District coordinators or other facilitators can deliver the modules in a one- or two-day in-person workshop. Individual teachers can purchase the course and work through the modules at their own pace.
- Compatibility. Teachers can learn how to move toward a skills-based approach while still working within their adopted curriculum.
- Evidence of learning. Module quizzes and a cumulative quiz at the end are automatically graded, and right-or-wrong feedback is provided immediately.
- Professional development credit. Participants are able to download a certificate of completion to submit to their administrators for professional development credit. (Coordinators and participants are responsible for seeking their administration’s approval for credit.)
Each module includes the following:
- Video segments featuring the authors speaking about the module topics
- Narrated presentations to introduce key concepts
- Downloadable application activities
- Knowledge-check quizzes to provide evidence of learning
A downloadable facilitator guide provides health coordinators with all they need to effectively deliver the course in person or in a virtual setting. The facilitator guide details pacing and time requirements for each module, module-specific tips for implementation, and prompts for discussion or other group work.
Implementing Skills-Based Health Education Online Course is flexible and highly effective for showing teachers how to use a skills-based approach in their programs. It also offers “virtual visits” with the authors for an additional fee. These visits can take the learning to the next level and are highly prized by those who take part in them.
Implementing Skills-Based Health Education Online Course will open the door for administrators, coordinators, and teachers who want to learn more about—and fully implement—skills-based education.
AudienceK-12 health coordinators, health and PE coordinators, K-12 health teachers and specialists, elementary classroom teachers, and physical educators.
Module 2. The What and Why of Skills-Based Health Education
Module 3. Skills of the National Health Education Standards
Module 4. Skill Development
Module 5. Participatory Methods
Module 6. Functional Information
Module 7. Curriculum Development and Assessment
Module 8. Tips for Designing Skills-Based Health Education