We've created a convenient and complete training process that will interest experienced health professionals, yet is accessible for laypeople and professionals from non-health backgrounds. You may choose to train for Active Living Every Day, Healthy Eating Every Day, or both. Facilitators complete these steps for each course:
- Become familiar with the content. Facilitators review the Active Living Every Day and/or Healthy Eating Every Day participant book to gain an understanding of how the strategies and concepts are presented to participants.
- Complete the facilitator training course. Each course provides the background information and materials needed to facilitate and implement Active Living Every Day or Healthy Eating Every Day. Each course is delivered in a print format, with easy-to-access forms, handouts, lesson plans, and other resources available right here through our web site.
- Successfully complete an online competency exam. The exam for each course includes 75 true-false and multiple choice questions. You need to achieve an 80% passing grade in order to print a completion certificate.
Your Support Package
You receive the following resources as part of your facilitator training.
- Facilitator Training manual and study guide that covers these topics
- Program Philosophy
- Behavior and Health
- The Case for Healthy Lifestyles
- Four Primary Theories
- The Transtheoretical Model
- Scientific Basis for ALED or HEED
- Principles of Adult Learning
- Facilitating for Change
- Nuts and Bolts of Facilitating
- (HEED Only) Evaluating Assessments, Food Logs, and Nutrition Misinformation
- Evaluating Your Program
- Adaptations and Special Uses
- Management of Your Program
- Participant workbook
- Lesson plans, handouts, forms, marketing materials, and PowerPoint slides
You can become a program facilitator by following these simple steps.
- Agree to the program's philosophy and implementation guidelines. Please send an email to Jenniferm@hkusa.com to request a copy of the guidelines, which explain why it's important to deliver the programs as they are designed. Indicating your agreement to these guidelines assures program consistency and helps to ensure the success of your program participants.
- Order your facilitator training materials. You may choose to train for Active Living Every Day, Healthy Eating Every Day, or both.
- Complete facilitator training. We ask all our providers to complete the training before you begin offering the program in your community or organization.
- Start offering programs! We provide you with everything you need to get started: lesson plans, marketing materials, guidance on working with groups, and a solid understanding of why these programs work.