The traditional, highly structured, teacher-directed approach of teaching tactics and skills separate from games is quite boring for kids—who, after all, just want to play the game. Transforming Play: Teaching Tactics and Game Sense shows you how to use games to keep kids active and involved. It also shows you how to teach kids the fundamental movement skills and knowledge of basic game strategy that will help them develop a lifelong love of activity. You will learn how using a game sense approach to teaching games and sports can make activity meaningful for all kids, from the novice to the very skilled.
Transforming Play: Teaching Tactics and Game Sense includes
• an introduction that explains the principles of using games to develop key skills and tactics;
• vividly illustrated games that you can use immediately to develop kids’ gross motor skills and tactical understanding, which can be transferred to and used in many popular sports;
• lesson plans that demonstrate how game sense can be used in teaching school sports;
• questions and coaching points you can use at key moments in teaching tactics and strategy as the kids play the games; and
• support material for authentic assessment that enhances rather than intrudes on the learning experience.
Sports are for everyone, not just the athletically inclined. With Transforming Play: Teaching Tactics and Game Sense, you have access to proven tools for teaching students the simple skills and strategies that will equip them to enjoy sports and physical activity now and throughout their lives.
Reference for secondary school teachers, primary school teachers, teachers in training, and coaches.
Table of Contents
Games Model Instruction: The Teaching Games for Understanding (TGfU) Model
How to Use This Book
Chapter 1. Fundamental Movements and Tactics
The Great Escape
SpacePass 1, 2 and 3
Chapter 2. Attack and Defence Tactics
Piggy in the Middle 1, 2 and 3
Round the Outside
Progressive (Layering) and Sliding Defence
Draw and Pass
Chapter 3. Applying TGfU to Teaching Badminton, Basketball and Netball
Passing Competition Relay
Fastest Hands (Simultaneous Infringement)
Pass-In and Goal Shooting
Chapter 4. Applying TGfU to Teaching Football
Flick up, Catch and Run
Trap and Throw-In
Throw and Trap Practice
Modified Zone Defence
Chapter 5. Authentic Assessment
Enhancing Learning and Game Performance
What Is Authentic Assessment?
Assessing Declarative Knowledge and Affect
Assessing Team Performance
About the Author