Training the Athlete Over 50 Online CE Course-2nd Edition
Course components are delivered online and include a continuing education exam.
Training the Athlete Over 50, Second Edition Online CE Course presents motivation, injury prevention, and training techniques that consider the unique physiology of athletes over 50. You’ll learn to help older clients achieve peak performance by designing a training plan that develops cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, speed, quickness, and agility. Discover opportunities to expand your client base with this exploding market by identifying venues that provide athletic competition. The course concludes with a continuing education exam for credit through participating organizations.
• Identify five levels of physical function in adults over the age of 50.
• Describe why chronological age is a poor indicator of physical condition and ability.
• Identify venues that provide athletic competition for older athletes.
• Discuss general recommendations for training athletes over the age of 50.
• Design a training plan to develop cardiorespiratory endurance, muscular strength, speed, quickness, and agility.
• Identify safety issues and the types of injuries associated with senior athletes.
• List the benefits of regular and vigorous exercise training for older adults.
• Recognize factors that influence sport performance in older adults.
• Identify the market potential for training older athletes.
A continuing education course for personal trainers, coaches, and fitness professionals working with senior athletes.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. 50 Isn’t Old Anymore
Hierarchy of Physical Function
Learning from the Masters
A Study of the Performance of Masters Athletes
A Critical Mass Turns 50
Accessing the Over-50 Market
Competition Opportunities and Venues
Chapter 2. Recommendations for Training the Athlete Over 50
The Periodized Training Plan
Speed, Quickness, and Agility Training
What About Injures?
Nutritional Needs for Senior Athlete
Chapter 3. Training for All the Right Reasons
Benefits of Training
U.S. Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health
Factors that Influence Sport Performance in Older Athletes
Communication Tips for Working with Senior Athletes
Our Challenge and Opportunity
Chapter 4. Athlete Profiles
About the Author