Sport Psych Handbook PDF, The
Athletes' physiques and conditioning levels have advanced significantly in the past decade. Now, it's time for their mental prowess to catch up.
The Sport Psych Handbook makes significant performance improvement possible through training the mind to parallel the body's enhanced development. Experts covering each facet of the mental game present research-based, field-tested approaches to enhance individual and team performance. More specifically, this comprehensive guide will give athletes breakthrough methods to do the following:
- Optimize inner drive for training and competition
- Maintain emotional and mental control for unwavering focus
- Improve communication skills for better leadership and teamwork
- Avoid and overcome slumps, injuries, and other challenges to a successful season
Complement your physical skills with sharper mental skills. Make The Sport Psych Handbook part of your training arsenal, and start performing to your potential.
Table of Contents
Part I. Inner Drive
Chapter 1. Motivation: The Need to Achieve
John F. Eliot
Chapter 2. Goals: More Than Just the Score
Chapter 3. Competitive Drive: Embracing Positive Rivalries
Chapter 4. Overtraining: Balancing Practice and Performance
Part II. Emotional and Mental Control
Chapter 5. Anxiety: From Pumped to Panicked
Chapter 6. Anger: How to Moderate Hot Buttons
Mitch Abrams and Bruce Hale
Chapter 7. Concentration: Focus Under Pressure
Chapter 8. Imagery: Inner Theater Becomes Reality
Part III. Interactive Skills
Chapter 9. Leadership: Full Engagement for Success
Chapter 10. Teamwork: For the Good of the Whole
Tracy L. Veach and Jerry R. May
Chapter 11. Coaching: An Effective Communication System
Charles J. Hardy, Kevin L. Burke, and R. Kelly Crace
Part IV. Potential Pitfalls
Chapter 12. Injuries: The Psychology of Recovery and Rehab
Chapter 13. Eating Disorders: When Rations Become Irrational
Karen D. Cogan
Chapter 14. Substance Use: Chemical Roulette in Sport
Mark H. Anshel
Part V. The Educated Consumer
Chapter 15. Roles: The Sport Psychologist
Chapter 16. Qualifications: Education and Experience
Chapter 17. Success in Sport Psych: Effective Sport Psychologists
David Tod and Mark Andersen
ExcerptsAction steps sustain team building strategies
Secrets to building and sustaining high-level motivation
AncillariesAll ancillary materials for this text are FREE to course adopters and available at www.HumanKinetics.com/TheSportPsychHandbook.
- A sample syllabus – includes weekly reading assignments, suggested class grading scale based on percentages, and suggestions for written assignments (including paper topics, paper guidelines, and reference sources).
- Exam study guides to accompany the Test Package exam questions. Like the book, the study guide is divided into parts 1-5, with each part containing 3-4 chapters.
Test Package. Consists of 17 chapters of multiple choice and essay exam questions (288 questions total).
Presentation Package. Contains more than 350 slides of art and text from the book that can be used directly with PowerPoint. Instructors can easily add, modify, or rearrange the order of the slides.