Physical Best Gets FITT Online Course
Online CourseTo see all SHAPE America titles, visit the SHAPE America Online Store.
The Physical Best program is a comprehensive health-related fitness education program developed by physical educators for physical educators. Focused on instructing children regardless of athletic talent, physical and mental abilities, or disabilities, the program strives to move students from dependence to independence for their own fitness and health. Developed by SHAPE America, the FREE Physical Best Gets FITT online course explains how strategies can be used to teach health-related fitness concepts in the physical education setting and adapt other activities to the Physical Best activity format.
With Physical Best Gets FITT, physical educators will study the four components of a quality physical education (QPE) program, summarize the five national standards that form the foundation of physical literacy, and learn how to distinguish between health- and skill-related fitness. The online course also summarizes the concepts underlying the five principles of training by identifying each of the FITT guidelines for physical activity and recognizing them in the context of activity recommendations.
Physical educators will also gain a greater understanding of the teaching guidelines for each component of health-related fitness and learn how to integrate these FITT guidelines and principles into lesson planning. Part of the Presidential Youth Fitness Program, Physical Best Gets FITT can be completed in 2.5 hours and provides the tools for creating a quality physical education program.
Teachers also have the option to obtain CEUs! By submitting the course completion certificates to SHAPE America along with a $20.00 processing fee, teachers will receive CEU credit awarded through the Department of Kinesiology, School of Public Health – Indiana University Bloomington. IU will award one full CEU credit upon the completion of the Success with the Presidential Youth Fitness Program Training Package (Essentials of the Presidential Youth Fitness Program, Physical Best Gets FITT, and Motivating Students to Become their Physical Best online courses). With the Success with the Presidential Youth Fitness Training Package, teachers gain valuable training to help make their PYFP program implementation a success.
Interested parties should submit a Request for CEU form, copies of the certificates of completion for each course, and a $20.00 processing fee to SHAPE America via email at email@example.com or direct mail at:
c/o Business Office – CEU
1900 Association Drive
Reston, VA 20191
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your Request for CEU form.
Please note that it is your responsibility to submit these CEUs to your district and/or state for recertification. SHAPE America’s involvement in facilitating the issuance of these CEUs is not a guarantee from the organization that CEUs will be accepted by your state and/or district as evidence for renewing your teaching certificate/license.
Table of Contents
- Welcome and Introduction
Unit 1: Why Physical Best?
- Presentation: Physical Best, Quality Physical Education, and the Presidential Youth
Learning Activity 1.1: Purpose of Physical Best
- Learning Activity 1.2: QPE
- Learning Activity 1.3: National Standards
- Learning Activity 1.4: Key Terms
- Learning Activity 1.5: Health- vs. Skill-Related Fitness
- Learning Activity 1.6: Physical Best and PYFP
- Unit 2: Foundations of Health-Related Fitness Program Planning
- Presentation: Understanding FITT and the Five Principles of Training
- Learning Activity 2.1: Principles of Training
- Learning Activity 2.2: FITT Guidelines
- Unit 3: Components of Health-Related Fitness
- Presentation: Health-Related Fitness in Action
- Learning Activity 3.1: Definitions
- Learning Activity 3.2: Benefits
- Learning Activity 3.3: Measurement
- Unit 4: Practical Applications—Strategies for Physical Educators
- Presentation: Getting FITT Into Lesson Planning
- Learning Activity 4.1: Teaching Guidelines
- Learning Activity 4.2: Create a FITT Activity
- Learning Activity 4.3: Promoting and Tracking Physical Activity
- Course Summary
- Course Test
- Course Evaluation
- Learning Activity 1.2: QPE