Periodization Training for Sports
Course components are delivered as printed products or online:
• Periodization Training for Sports, Third Edition
• Study guide
• Continuing education exam
Periodization Training for Sports CE Course, Third Edition, will ensure you know what works, why it works, and when it works in the training room and on the practice field. Using content from the book Periodization Training for Sports, Third Edition, by Tudor Bompa and Carlo Buzzichelli, this advanced-level course presents Bompa’s scientifically based principles while detailing how to apply them to optimally train athletes’ biomotor abilities for their respective sports and for their roles in those sports.
Coaches and athletes will immediately benefit from ready-to-use programs and training models for more than 35 popular sports that take into consideration the unique demands for athletes competing in each sport. The periodization principles described in this course are proven to maximize performance, minimize the risk of injury, and eliminate training plateaus.
You will learn how to use periodized workouts in order to peak at optimal times by manipulating strength training variables through six training phases (anatomical adaptation, hypertrophy, maximum strength, conversion to specific strength maintenance, and tapering) and integrating them with energy system training and nutrition strategies. Rather than experiment with untested training regimens, you can apply the proven methods of Bompa and Buzzichelli to safely and effectively train athletes to reach peak physical condition and gain a competitive edge.
At the completion of this course you will be able to do the following:
• Understand the theory of periodization.
• Analyze and use various types of training plans.
• Recognize the differences in periodization models.
• Design the annual plan for various sports and athletes at all levels.
• Organize the training sessions within the weekly training plan.
• Understand the physiology of strength training and the laws and principles of strength training for sports that derive from it.
• Periodize strength training for all sports.
• Explain the strength training methods to be used for each phase of the annual plan.
• Manipulate strength training variables to obtain the desired training effect for each session.
• Understand the theory and methodology of energy systems training.
• Integrate speed and endurance training with strength training for maximum sport performance.
• Identify the speed and endurance training methods to be used for each training phase.
• Explain appropriate nutrition for athletes: macronutrient ratios, timing, and periodization of nutrition.
An accompanying study guide offers learning activities that emphasize the key points to understand in preparing for the course exam. The study guide includes a table of contents, course syllabus, chapter activities, case studies, and referenced study guide answer key.
This self-guided course allows you to work att your own pace and explore the material through a comprehensive text and study guide, finishing with a 75-question exam composed of multiple-choice and true-or-false questions covering the book content.
Skills Active / REPs pre requisites can be found here:
A continuing education course for strength and conditioning coaches, athletic trainers, personal trainers, and fitness coaches and instructors.
Table of Contents
Course Table of Contents
Part I: Course Syllabus
Part II: Learn and Practice With the Periodization Training for Sports Book
Foundations of Strength Training
Chapter 1 Strength, Power, and Muscular Endurance in Sports
Chapter 2 Neuromuscular Response to Strength Training
Chapter 3 Training Strength and Energy Systems
Chapter 4 Fatigue, Muscle Soreness, and Recovery
Chapter 5 Periodization as Planning and Programming of Sport Training
Chapter 6 Principles of Strength Training for Sports
Chapter 7 Manipulation of Training Variables
Chapter 8 Sport Nutrition
Chapter 9 Microcycle Short-Term Plan
Chapter 10 Annual Plan
Periodization of Strength
Chapter 11 Phase 1
Chapter 12 Phase 2
Chapter 13 Phase 3
Chapter 14 Phase 4
Chapter 15 Phases 5 and 6
Part III: Exam and Evaluation
Exam Answer Sheet
Quotes for Periodization Training for Sports by Tudor Bompa and Carlo Buzzichelli
“Periodization Training for Sports will definitely increase your understanding of sport preparation and help you create training programs to improve your performance.”
Bret Contreras, MS, CSCS -- Author, Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy, BretContreras.com
“Periodization Training for Sports will assist coaches in developing a scientifically supported, multifaceted skill set that is essential for guiding athletes toward high-performance results.”
James Smith-- High-Performance Sport Consultant
“This is a book that has no equal! A must-read for all coaches and athletes at all levels.”
Brandell Lewis-- Strength and Conditioning Specialist