Journal of Sport Rehabilitation Evidence-Based Practice Online CE Course: The Ankle
- Five evidence-based practice articles from the Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Continuing education exam
After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
- Develop an evidence-based treatment strategy for patients with chronic ankle instability using dynamic balance training and joint mobilizations (for short-term benefits).
- Implement an evidence-based assessment protocol that avoids tests that fail to detect functional impairments among individuals reporting chronic ankle instability.
- Describe if and when ankle taping and stretching may have beneficial effects on risk factors for ankle injuries (e.g., reaction time, range of motion).
This continuing education course consists of a collection of five evidence-based articles about the ankle, originally published in the Journal of Sport Rehabilitation (JSR). Topics explore a range of issues to help athletic trainers understand and apply techniques to address ankle sprains and improve ankle function. Articles cover topics such as Graston instrument-assisted soft-tissue mobilization, use of functional performance tests, and taping. The articles are followed by an exam containing 50 questions. Upon passing the exam, individuals may print out and submit a certificate for continuing education credits.
Journal of Sport Rehabilitation Evidence-Based Practice: The Ankle CE Course supports the initiative in the athletic training profession to integrate the best new research and evidence into clinical decision making with the goal of improving patient outcomes. Certified athletic trainers completing this course may earn continuing education units to apply toward the newly required evidence-based practice category to maintain their certification.
Jessica L. Schaefer, Michelle A. Sandrey
©2012 Human Kinetics • JSR 21(4), pp. 313-326
Article 2.Effect of a 2-Week Joint Mobilization Intervention on Single-Limb Balance and Ankle Arthrokinematics in Those With Chronic Ankle Instability
Matthew C. Hoch, David R. Mullineaux, Richard D. Andreatta, Robert A. English, Jennifer M. Medina McKeon, Carl G. Mattacola, Patrick O. McKeon
©2014 Human Kinetics • JSR 23(1), pp. 18-26
Article 3. Do Functional-Performance Tests Detect Impairment in Subjects With Ankle Instability?
Joanne Munn, David J. Beard, Kathryn M. Refshauge, Raymond W.Y. Lee
©2002 Human Kinetics • JSR 11(1), pp. 40-50
Article 4. The Influence of Ankle Taping on Changes in Postural Stability During Soccer-Specific Activity
Monika Lohkamp, Simon Craven, Colin Walker-Johnson, Matt Greig
©2009 Human Kinetics • JSR 18(4), pp. 482-492
Article 5. Effects of a 3-Minute Standing Stretch on Ankle-Dorsiflexion Range of Motion
Kimberly Pratt, Richard W. Bohannon
©2003 Human Kinetics • JSR 12(2), 162-173
Continuing Education Exam (50 questions)