ACSM's Health/Fitness Facility Standards and Guidelines 4th Edition eBook
EbookACSM’s Health/Fitness Facility Standards and Guidelines, Fourth Edition, presents the current standards and guidelines that help health and fitness establishments provide high-quality service and program offerings in a safe environment.
This text is based in large part on both the work that has begun through the NSF international initiative to develop industry standards to serve as the foundation for a voluntary health and fitness facility certification process and the third edition of ACSM’s Health/Fitness Facility Standards and Guidelines. The ACSM’s team of experts in academic, medical, and health and fitness fields have put together an authoritative guide for facility operators and owners. By detailing these standards and guidelines and providing supplemental materials, ACSM’s Health/Fitness Facility Standards and Guidelines provides a blueprint for health and fitness facilities to use in elevating the standard of care they provide their members and users as well as enhance their exercise experience.
The fourth edition includes new standards and guidelines for pre-activity screening, orientation, education, and supervision; risk management and emergency procedures; professional staff and independent contractors; facility design and construction; facility equipment; operational practices; and signage. This edition includes these updates:
- Standards and guidelines aligned with the current version of the pending NSF international health and fitness facility standards
- New guidelines addressing individuals with special needs
- New standards and guidelines regarding automated external defibrillators (AEDs) for both staffed and unstaffed facilities
- Revised standards and guidelines to reflect changing directions and business models within the industry, including 24/7 fitness facilities, medically integrated facilities, and demographic-specific facilities
- New standards and guidelines to better equip facilities that are dealing with youth to ensure the proper care of this segment of the clientele
With improved organization, new visual features, and additional appendixes, the fourth edition offers a comprehensive and easy-to-use reference of health and fitness facility standards and guidelines. Readers can readily apply the information and save time and expense using over 30 templates found within the appendixes, including questionnaires, informed consent forms, and evaluation forms. Appendixes also contain more than 30 supplements, such as sample preventive maintenance schedules, checklists, and court and facility dimensions. Included in appendix A is Blueprint for Excellence, which allows readers to search efficiently for specific information regarding the standards and guidelines within the book.
Health and fitness facilities provide opportunities for individuals to become and remain physically active. As the use of exercise for health care prevention and prescription continues to gain momentum, health and fitness facilities and clubs will emerge as an integral part of the health care system. The fourth edition of ACSM’s Health/Fitness Facility Standards and Guidelines will assist health and fitness facility managers, owners, and staff in keeping to a standard of operation, client care, and service that will assist members and users in caring for their health through safe and appropriate exercise experiences.
A resource for health and fitness club owners and operators to improve the quality and safety of their facilities. Also a textbook for courses in facility management. The book is also a resource for fitness professionals seeking further professional development.
Table of ContentsChapter 1. Pre-Activity Screening
- Standards for Pre-Activity Screening
- Guidelines for Pre-Activity Screening
Chapter 2. Orientation, Education, and Supervision
- Standards for Orientation, Education, and Supervision
- Guidelines for Orientation, Education, and Supervision
Chapter 3. Risk Management and Emergency Policies
- Standards for Risk Management and Emergency Policies
- Guidelines for Risk Management and Emergency Policies
Chapter 4. Health/Fitness Facility Professional Staff and Independent Contractors
- Standards for Health/Fitness Facility Professional Staff and Independent Contractors
- Guidelines for Health/Fitness Facility Professional Staff and Independent Contractors
Chapter 5. Health/Fitness Facility Operating Practices
- Standards for Health/Fitness Facility Operating Practices
- Guidelines for Health/Fitness Facility Operating Practices
Chapter 6. Health/Fitness Facility Design and Construction
- Standards for Health/Fitness Facility Design and Construction
- Guidelines for Health/Fitness Facility Design and Construction
Chapter 7. Health/Fitness Facility Equipment
- Standards for Health/Fitness Facility Equipment
- Guidelines for Health/Fitness Facility Equipment
Chapter 8. Signage in Health/Fitness Facilities
- Standards for Signage in Health/Fitness Facilities
- Guidelines for Signage in Health/Fitness Facilities
"This edition provides updated information about and will be a valuable resource for owners and operators of health/fitness club facilities. The easy-to-follow format makes this book an extremely useful tool to use as these facilities strive to maintain high standards as the role of the health/fitness club industry evolves."
-- Keith Webster, MA, ATC, University of Kentucky
ExcerptsHealth/Fitness Facility Standards And Guidelines For Risk Management And Emergency Policies
Integrating A PAD Program In Your Facility's Emergency Response Policy
Maintain Health/Fitness Facility Sauna, Steam Room, And Whirlpool Operating Standards
Provide Fitness Equipment That Plays The Most Significant Role In The Industry