ACSM/NPAS Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist Certification Enhanced Online Exam Prep/CE Course With Book
Online CourseDeveloped in conjunction with the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Physical Activity Society (NPAS), the ACSM/NPAS Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist Certification Exam Preparation online course will help you prepare for the Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist (PAPHS) certification exam. It’s also a perfect resource for public health practitioners and other health professionals looking to better understand the role of physical activity in public health.
The course addresses the six core competencies identified by ACSM and NPAS: partnerships, data and scientific information, planning and evaluating, intervention, organizational structure, and exercise science in public health settings. You will learn to do the following:
- Examine the components of exercise physiology and science and explain how promoting health and disease prevention, performing assessments, and making recommendations are important for public health.
- Apply public health data and scientific information to community-based interventions while making intervention recommendations and highlighting disparities in public health.
- Demonstrate how frameworks and models are used in planning and evaluating physical activity interventions.
- Recommend interventions and coordinate local organizations in creating opportunities for physical activity.
- Engage and collaborate with external partners to promote physical activity and disseminate information about interventions through various media channels.
- Identify components of grant writing and organizational structures.
The course is supplemented by the text Foundations of Physical Activity and Public Health by Harold W. Kohl III and Tinker D. Murray. This text presents all of the background information you need in order to pass the exam and also serves as a valuable professional reference after you have completed the course.
Skills Active / REPs pre requisites can be found here:
Course for those preparing for the ACSM/NPAS Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist (PAPHS) exam; continuing education resource for health promotion specialists, public health practitioners, fitness professionals, and others interested in health promotion, especially at the population level.
Table of ContentsIntroduction
Organization and Activities
Unit 1: Exercise Science and Public Health
Exercise Physiology and Science
Physical Activity Assessments
Caloric Balance and Weight Management
Unit 2: Physical Activity and Community Assessment
Physical Activity and Public Health
Physical Activity Recommendations
Unit 3: Planning and Evaluation
Physical Activity Promotion Efforts
Step 1: Engage the Stakeholders
Step 2: Describe the Program
Step 3: Focus the Evaluation
Step 4: Gather Data
Step 5: Develop Conclusion from the Evaluation
Step 6: Communicate Findings to Ensure Use
Unit 4: Intervention
School Based Interventions
Behavior and Social Interventions
Environmental and Policy Interventions
Unit 5: Building Partnerships
Strategies for Partners and Constituents
Messages and Media
Unit 6: Organizational Structure