Dr. Ian C Dunican
You must log in to watch this webinar recording.
Recorded on Wednesday 18 April 2018
About this webinar
Sleep has become one of the prominent areas of interest. Recent research in sport has started to explore factors affecting sleep in athletes and also the implications for performance and injury. However, the research on sleep in athletes is in its infancy and the research in other industries is more comprehensive. We’re honoured to have Ian present to us his work and understanding of this area that precedes research in sport and calls on his experience in the military, mining and with other industries.
Learning outcomes of the webinar:
- Gain an awareness of basic sleep science principles.
- Develop an awareness of the wide range of sleep research conducted beyond sport.
- Understand definitions and diagnosis of sleep disorders
- Understand the role of caffeine in sleep quality.
- Develop an awareness of how biomathematical modelling can be used to design, schedule training and travel to optimise sleep and performance
- Understand the scientific criteria and cost-effectiveness of various wearable options for sleep monitoring.
Dr Ian C Dunican has 20 years international professional experience in health, safety and improvement within military, mining, rail, oil & gas and utilities. A combination of scientific research and operational leadership to support organisations in reducing risk, lowering cost whilst optimising productivity & performance. He is currently the Director of Melius Consulting/Sleep4Performance and has recently completed a PhD with the University of Western Australia (UWA), where he worked with elite sporting organisations/athletes to optimise performance. Ian has worked with the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) and professional teams in Super Rugby, Australian Rules Football, Basketball and Martial Arts.